Demcon has developed a prototype of an ultrasound system called ‘Flood Dragon’. This system can be used as a portable ultrasound imaging device for human and veterinary medicine. The system can also be used as a development platform for new developments in the field of ultrasound imaging. Examples of such new applications are:
o Automatic detection of thickness of fat layers in swine
o Ultrasound imaging for tissue characterization
Each one of our companies differentiates itself in its own domain with unique expertise and skills. This way they help customers improve their performance and achieve more. On the basis of their passion for technology our companies are able to combine forces. By sharing knowledge and working together we increase our social impact. Demcon advanced mechatronics is a multidisciplinary development and engineering partner for mechatronic challenges, from concept to realization.
Wat ga je doen?
Goal or objectives
The current prototype makes use of a Raspberry Pi 4 as a system CPU. This component is currently not available due to component shortages and is not a sufficiently robust industrial solution. Therefore, it is proposed to replace this CPU by an NXP i.MX 8M Plus. Also, the heart of the system, the “beamformer” can be upgraded because there is an improved version of the chip available. This leads to a substantial redesign of the prototype. Other challenges are to keep the power dissipation of the system at a low level because the system is passively cooled.
The assignment includes the re-development of the electronics of the Flood Dragon ultrasound system. The activities mainly include electronic development and could be extended into embedded software development.
Innovation and technology:
– Implementation of a start of the art system CPU (NXP i.MX 8M Plus).
– This processor also includes an AI engine that could be applied for tissue characterization. (Demcon has collaborations with Radboud Universiteit/UMC and Erasmus MC)
– Integrate a new beamformer chip to extend the capabilities of the scanner into a higher frequency range.
Wat breng je mee?
– This role requires a strong background in electronic engineering.
– Experience with C++ programming for embedded applications is an advantage.
Wat bieden we jou?
– The student will be tutored by two Demcon engineers. This is such that during absence of one there is always a backup available for the student.
– Within Demcon there several colleagues available for additional support.
Heb je nog vragen over deze functie?
For more information, you can contact Bibi van Berlo (Corporate Recruiter) via firstname.lastname@example.org.