Embedded Software Architect
Are you a talented Embedded Software Architect with a passion for space systems and laser communication technology? FSO Instruments, a pioneering space company specializing in laser satellite communication technology, is actively seeking a highly skilled and motivated Embedded Software Architect to join our dynamic team. If you are eager to make a significant contribution to the future of space communication and engage in groundbreaking projects, this is an extraordinary opportunity for you.
FSO Instruments is at the forefront of developing advanced laser satellite communication technology. Together with our partners and shareholders we are committed to strengthening the Dutch space industry and pushing the boundaries of communication systems to enable faster, more reliable, and secure connections between satellites, airplanes, drones and ground stations. By pushing the boundaries of what is achievable, we are shaping the future of space communication, both locally and globally.
FSO Instruments is a Joint Venture between Demcon and VDL that develops and manufactures optical-communication components, sub-systems, and terminals. FSO Instruments combines the strengths of Demcon and VDL ETG, inspired by TNO technologies, to let laser satellite communication take the step towards industrialization. We have strong heritage in Semiconductor and Aerospace, and bring this to optical communications:
• Developing and engineering of laser communication terminals
• Modular and Standardized functional (sub-)systems for laser communication
• High tech contract manufacturing expertise for cost-effective high-volume production.
At FSO Instruments we work closely with dedicated partners for development and supply, as well as with our parent companies to ensure we achieve the most competitive products for the market for optical communications in space.
What are you going to do?
As an Embedded Software Architect at FSO Instruments, you will play a crucial role in designing and implementing embedded software systems for laser satellite communication technology. Your responsibilities will include:
• Leading the embedded software architecture design process, ensuring efficiency, reliability, and real-time performance with a long-term product strategy and roadmap in mind.
• Collaborating with cross-functional teams of customers and suppliers to gather requirements and translate them into technical specifications.
• Collaborating with knowledge partners to co-develop new technologies and methods.
• Designing, implementing and testing embedded software solutions, bootloaders, hardware abstraction layers and control algorithms.
• Selection and application of embedded Linux and Real-time operating systems.
• Evaluating and selecting appropriate microcontrollers, hardware platforms, and software tools for embedded software development and continuous integration.
• Executing reliability analysis in close collaboration with other disciplines.
• Defining and enforcing coding standards, best practices, and quality assurance processes for embedded software development.
• Conducting system-level testing and debugging to ensure compliance with performance and reliability requirements.
• Providing technical guidance and mentorship to software engineers and development teams.
• Take initiative in a start-up company to help out wherever you can add value and help shape the company
• Provide support in setting up a factory and production facilities for our products
What do you bring to the table?
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
• Extended experience as Embedded Software Architect or a similar role, preferably in the field of communication technology or satellite systems.
• Strong knowledge of embedded software architecture, real-time operating systems, and low-level programming.
• Proficiency in programming languages such as C and C++.
• Familiarity with communication protocols and standards used in embedded systems, such as UART, SPI and I2C.
• Experience with microcontrollers, FPGA’s, System-on-Chips, and hardware/software co-design.
• Knowledge of laser communication principles and technologies would be highly advantageous.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative and fast-paced environment.
• Pragmatic, with a large degree of independence and keen on sharing initiatives for building the company
• Able to communicate clearly with customers, hands-on, driven, solution-oriented and a team player.
• You have good command of the English language in word and writing. Good command of the Dutch language is preferable but not mandatory.
What do we offer you?
FSO Instruments is a dynamic, young, growing and innovative company. We place great value in a pleasant workplace and provide you with the necessary means to achieve that. Being a young and growing entity, the job comes with a significant amount of adventure, freedom, diversity and room to shape your own role and contribution to the company.
• A good, competitive salary;
• 31 days off and 8% holiday allowance;
• A good pension scheme at Zwitserleven;
• Follow training or courses at the Demcon Academy to further develop your skills;
• A laptop and telephone;
• Active staff association (monthly activities such as drinks and an annual Demcon weekend) and annual sporting events.
Do you have any questions about this position?
For more information, you can contact Hessel Edelijn (Corporate Recruiter) via firstname.lastname@example.org
Does this vacancy appeal to you and are you curious about the application process? This goes as follows:
You have applied! We will discuss it internally and respond as soon as possible.
2. Phone call
We got acquainted briefly and want to get to know each other better.
3. First call
See if there is a match from both sides and if the expectations are correct.
4. Second call
We investigate a possible collaboration more closely.
We both see the match! Let’s make you a suitable proposal.
Your response to the offer is positive. We are going to finalize the collaboration!